ByteDance, parent company of TikTok, launched an internet search engine for the Chinese market as part of a broader expansion beyond its core business in news and video. Read more…
Google is testing a paid subscription service to its app store for Android devices, possibly taking aim at rival Apple as the iPhone maker readies its Apple Arcade service. Read more…
Facebook reported a 28% revenue gain to $16.9 billion in Q2 from a year earlier, as the social media giant shook off negative headlines and a record-setting fine for its data-sharing practices. Read more…
Ad agency Digitas is creating an augmented reality (AR) app experience that chronicles the first manned mission to land on the moon 50 years ago. Read more….
The Washington Post’s digital publishing platform, Arc Publishing, is creating another source of revenue for the media company outside of its newspaper operations. The software-as-a-service platform may grow into a $100 million business that would bolster the company’s bottom line. Read more….
Amazon in Q2 2018 overtook Google in product search with about 54 percent of product searches beginning on Amazon, up from 46 percent in 2015, according to Jumpshot, a research firm that collects data from 100 million devices.
Almost 90 percent of all product views on Amazon result from Amazon’s product search and not merchandising, ads or product aggregators
Amazon search result placement is vital for product views
- The 4th ranked product spot generates more views (7 percent of all clicks) than the 2nd and 3rd ranked spots (5.7 percent and 5.2 percent, respectively)
- More than 2/3 of all product clicks come from the first page of Amazon results, and 1/3 from the first two rows alone
Time to purchase from Amazon search is longer than from Google search
- 35 percent of Google searches, and less than 20 percent of Amazon searches led to a transaction within 5 days
- Across all categories, Amazon search averages 25.9 days from search to purchase. Google search averages just 19.6 days
Amazon is increasing focus on sponsored ads
- Sponsored listings only make up about 6 percent of all product views from Amazon’s search results page
- Clicks from sponsored placements on Amazon have increased 17 percent since the beginning of 2018
- Home Improvement: Walmart and Home Depot are growing up to 16 percent in market share, while Amazon is declining
- Furniture: Wayfair has a good market hold and continues to grow at 21 percent, outshone in YoY growth by Ikea at 57 percent
- Food: Specialized food delivery brands are losing share while big box retailers like Walmart and Kroger grow 52 percent and 20 percent YoY, respectively
- Beauty: Specialist retailer Sephora declines 53 percent online, superstores Walmart and Target steal market share
- Women’s Clothing: All top marketplaces are growing share except Amazon; H&M grew the highest at 77 percent YoY
Publisher TI Media blamed the magazine’s woes on digital competition for celebrity news. ‘Now’ had an average circulation of 44,709 last year and 2,889 paid subscribers. Read more…
Writer Charlotte Alter’s tweet noted how she and Ocasio-Cortez were born in the same year and claimed that millennials are embracing democratic socialism because they’ve “never experienced American prosperity.” Read more…
Rogers began to scale back its print magazine business in 2016, while focusing on sports content, including its ownership of the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team. Read more…
Amazon said the number of Alexa “skills,” the voice-powered apps created for Amazon’s virtual assistant, topped 80,000 worldwide in early 2019.
The number of Alexa skills in the United States more than doubled to 56,750 in January 2019 from 25,784 a year earlier, according to Voicebot.ai. Alexa skill growth in the U.K. rose 233% to 29,910, while Germany’s skill count rose 152% to 7,869.
Number of Alexa Skills by Country, January 2019
Google Assistant has “actions” as the apps that expand its capabilities beyond search.
Number of Google Assistant Actions in United States
Google Assistant Apps by Category – January 2019
|Education and reference||15.07|
|Games and fun||11.07|
|Kids and family||9.29|
|News and magazines||7.69|
|Travel and transportation||5.60|
|Business and finance||5.41|
|Arts and lifestyle||4.73|
|Health and fitness||4.25|
|Social and communication||4.03|
|Music and audio||3.83|
|Food and drink||3.50|
|Music, photos and TV||2.76|